At Fort Lauderdale-based public relations firm Durée & Company, we’re always working to polish our PR skills. And while we spend a lot of time with newer channels including social media and digital marketing, it’s always time well spent to go back revisit some “PR 101” initiatives.
It takes a distinct constellation of attributes to be a successful PR professional, but it also requires a specific skill set to execute a successful PR campaign. Below, we put together a list (because we love efficient lists!) of skills needed to pull off a successful PR campaign, including tips to think about while strategizing your campaign.
- Research – Know the industry and market in which you’re creating a campaign. Tip: Details count!
- Competition – Know what is unique about your product or service. Tip: What separates you from the competition?
- The Hook – Know what’s newsworthy. Tip: What will ‘hook’ the media in your campaign?
- Strategy – Have clearly defined goals and objectives. Tip: These should be realistic and obtainable.
- Features and Benefits – Know the features and benefits of your product of service. Tip: Think what will attract the end user?
- Elevator Pitch – Create brief, bulleted talking points about your product or service. Tip: Make it so succinct that you could deliver in a short elevator ride.
- AP-Style Writing – All written communication must adhere to the Associated Press Stylebook. Tip: Invest in an AP Stylebook.
- Appropriate Contacts – Do your homework. Tip: Know the media outlets you are pitching and what the reporters at each outlet would be interested in.
- One Size Does Not Fit All – Customize each pitch to the appropriate outlet. Tip: Never mass email.
- Follow Up, Follow Up and Follow Up. Persistence and tenacity pay off here, but be polite and professional. Tip: Confirm receipt of the email. Inquire if any additional information is needed. Confirm attendance if it’s for an event.
Each of these skills are necessary in achieving a successful PR campaign. Although some may seem like no-brainers, it’s always good to revisit this information every once in a while, as this fast-paced industry is always changing.
About Durée & Company
Durée & Company, Inc. is an award-winning full-service public relations, marketing and special events firm with offices in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Aspen, Colorado. The firm serves the corporate, agency and non-profit arenas for local, national and international clients focusing on public relations for real estate, public relations for restaurants, public relations for law firms, public relations for charities, public relations for healthcare, and many more. Durée & Company services include Public Relations, Social Media, Marketing, Advertising, Special Events, and Radio Promotions and Outreach.