September is “Be Kind to Editors & Writers Month,” and the Dynamos at Fort Lauderdale PR firm Durée & Company have always noted the importance of creating and fostering good relationships with journalists. Establishing these relationships isn’t always easy, but when nurtured with care, they can not only bring positive media coverage for your clients, but also life-long friendships. Here is how we create and maintain relationships with the media:
- Be Yourself: Editors and journalists like to talk to real people. They are people too, so don’t be robotic in your correspondence with them. Check them out on social media, compliment their work, and show some of your personality when communicating, whether it be through email or phone. The best way to build a genuine and long-lasting relationship with editors and writers is by being your true self.
- Be Patient: Relationships aren’t built overnight, so don’t expect media-PR relationships to develop the first time you reach out. Media relationships are like dating, they take time to nurture and develop.
- Relevancy: With your relationship in place, it may seem like you can send pitches or tips about anything your clients are doing, but that’s not necessarily the case. It is important to reach out to the media when you have relevant, newsworthy material that they can use for their publications. By doing this, the media will appreciate your respect for their time.
- Be Resourceful: Many times, journalists will reach out to their most respected and trusted PR contacts asking for sources for an upcoming story they are working on. If you don’t have a client or angle that’ll fit the bill, refer them to a colleague or former client that will.
- Be Respectful: Maybe you send them a tip or an idea for coverage and don’t see it posted right away, don’t clog up the journalists email or phone asking where your coverage is. Respect the journalist’s ultimate decision to not use your information and thank them for the consideration.
Creating meaningful and lasting relationships with anyone takes time and effort, and media relationships are no different. We are so thankful to the journalists we’ve had the pleasure of working with and hope to continue the great relationships we’ve made with them all.
About Durée & Company
Durée & Company, Inc. is an award-winning full-service public relations, marketing and special events firm with offices in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Aspen, Colorado. The firm serves the corporate, agency and non-profit arenas for local, national and international clients focusing on public relations for real estate, public relations for restaurants, public relations for law firms, public relations for charities, public relations for healthcare, and many more. Durée & Company services include Public Relations, Social Media, Marketing, Advertising, Special Events, and Radio Promotions and Outreach.