Welcoming local residents and visitors alike to engage in “Infinite Experiences for Everyone Under the Sun,” the City of Fort Lauderdale Parks and Recreation Department debuted The LOOP (Las Olas Oceanside Park System), a $78 million parks project located in the Central Beach area of Fort Lauderdale Beach.
Encompassing Las Olas Oceanside Park, Las Olas Intracoastal Promenade Park, The Sunset Terrace at the Las Olas Beach Garage, The LOOP is a destination in and of itself for authentic experiences, within the urban oasis of Fort Lauderdale Beach. The project’s final phase is to finish the build-out on the complete redesign of DC Alexander Park. The small plot of open space situated off 5th Avenue South and A1A, estimated to be completed in late winter 2022, will feature a multi-level signature play area surrounded by a 25-foot sweeping observation deck with a 42-foot-tall shade canopy and restroom facility.
Whether it’s food or fitness, art or adventure, live music, or environmental causes, The LOOP offers a variety of special events, activities, and uniquely local experiences for all. The four pillars of The LOOP are “FAME”:
- F – Families, Fitness, Food, Friendly, Fun
- A – Active Adults, Art, Adventure, Approachable, Authentic
- M – Millennials, Music, Mix & Mingle, Memorable, Mindful
- E – Everyone, Educational, Environmental, Entertaining, Easy Going
“Our goal with The LOOP was to give it a place and purpose,” said Arianne Glassman, the City’s contracted consultant overseeing marketing and program development, in the role as Fort Lauderdale Beach’s Open Spaces coordinator. “I spent a lot of time before assuming this role in February 2021 learning about the needs, wants and desires of this community, with the goal of providing locals and visitors a variety of experiences that spoke to who we are as a destination, and what would help create a vibrant community in the City’s backyard.”
A few of The LOOP’s signature experiences include:
Friday Night Sound Waves (Oct. 8–Dec. 31, 2021). The free concert series presented by the City of Fort Lauderdale’s Beach Business Improvement District, features live music performances by local and national bands covering a range of genres, including Jazz, Country, Top 40, Indie, Oldies and Classic Rock. Preceding each concert is member-based open workout, and a pop-up Makers Market curated by the Flamingo Flea.
Special performances coinciding with major events in the destination and the winter holidays, include:
Oct. 29: H20: a Hall & Oates Experience; over the 62nd Annual Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show Weekend
Nov. 12: Tim Charron Band; over Tortuga Music Festival Weekend
Nov. 19: KRUSH; over Pride Fort Lauderdale Weekend
Nov. 26: Peter Mayer’s Stars & Promises Tour, presented by the Broward County Cultural Division, benefiting Dillard School for the Arts; kick off to WONDERLAND
Dec. 3: Mitch Herrick & the Homegrown Sinners; Audacy Beach Music Festival Weekend
Dec 11: Ticket to the Moon: ELO Experience; Seminole Hard Rock Winterfest Boat Parade Weekend
Dec. 24: Jeff Granger and the Hoboken 11 – Frank Sinatra Big Band performing holiday hits in a Christmas Eve Concert
Dec. 31: The Goodnicks New Year’s Eve Countdown to ’22, sponsored by the Elbo Room
- Music & Makers is the new pop-up Friday night market running concurrent with the Friday Night Sound Waves concert schedule. Curated by Carley Sumner, producer of the wildly popular Flamingo Flea, guests can meet local innovators and creators showcasing a rotation of the best vintage, jewelry, skincare, upcycled clothing, homewares, craft batched foods, and handmade accessories in South Florida. Acoustic music, live art, children’s activities, and street performers will provide entertainment from 5-6:30 p.m.
- Las Olas Oceanside Park Farmers, Antiques and Artisan Market (every Saturday, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.) takes place at the beachside Las Olas Boulevard and A1A. The market features an eclectic array of traditional market fare, including a fine selection of fresh produce, cheese, baked items, plants, handmade goods, jewelry and more.
On select Saturdays guests can experience “More at the Market” with cooking demonstrations, live art, and opportunities to volunteer announced on theloopflb.com website. There is also a morning Yoga Fusion on the main lawn hosted by leading Yoga Educator, Lisa Pumper of the Yoga Community of South Florida. Every first Saturday, Kids 6-16 flow free with paid adult participant.
- LO/OP Fit offers classes from yoga to kettlebell and HITT, to kids’ classes, throughout the week. Now offering 20 weekly group fitness classes, LO/OP Fit plans to offer 30 weekly group fitness classes by the end of October 2021.
LO/OP Fit’s mission is to provide access to a variety of group fitness classes in a safe and welcoming outdoor setting. Each fitness professional is certified, licensed, and insured; and has been added explicitly to the schedule based on his/her individual areas of expertise.
To view the full LO/OP Fit schedule, visit theloopflb.com/events/categories/loop-fit/.
The LOOP will debut new events including seasonal events, the Pumpkins & Palm Trees Fall Festival, and the four-weekend winter holiday series, WONDERLAND. The LOOP’s popular summer series, Movies by Moonlight, will continue through the fall and winter and include a partnership with the 62nd Annual Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival in November.
Addresses for The LOOP’s locations are:
- Las Olas Oceanside Park: 3000 E Las Olas Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33316
- Las Olas Intracoastal Promenade Park: 80 Las Olas Circle, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
- The Sunset Terrace at the Las Olas Beach Garage: 200 Las Olas Circle, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
- DC Alexander Park: 501 S. Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
Select spaces at The LOOP are also available to rent for private and corporate events.
The most convenient place to park to access The LOOP is the Las Olas Beach Parking Garage. Those visiting DC Alexander Park can utilize the Las Olas Beach Parking Lot, located at 1100 Seabreeze Boulevard (A1A).
The LOOP’s Major Funding partner is the City of Fort Lauderdale’s Beach Business Improvement District (BID). The BID’s primary focus is to market the beach as a premier destination by creating innovative brand awareness campaigns, maintaining MyFortLauderdaleBeach.com, and working with organizations such as Visit Lauderdale, the Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce and others committed to the area, to promote Fort Lauderdale Beach as the perfect location to live, work, play and stay. Through funding grants, they support many highly anticipated annual events including the Fort Lauderdale Air Show, Tortuga Music Festival, Friday Night Sound Waves, the Las Olas Oceanside Park Farmers Market, Pride Fort Lauderdale, the spectacular holiday lighting display and iconic Olas the Sandman.
Additionally, the BID also undertakes infrastructure improvements and beautification projects throughout the funding zone, including the most recent design of pedestrian lighting along the west side of A1A from Alhambra Street to Sunrise Boulevard to address sea turtle and beachgoer safety, parking lot improvements at Fort Lauderdale Beach Park, electrical box wraps along A1A and the new Smart City digital information kiosks at Las Olas Oceanside Park and the Beach Garage.
Editor’s Note: To view The LOOP’s full 2021 calendar, please visit https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gqjxpqgsx534flk/AACr-AVYHZYMOJAiIqzgILQ_a?dl=0.
About The LOOP
A cornerstone of activity, The LOOP (Las Olas Oceanside Park) is the central hub of the new $78 million, four park system at the heart of Fort Lauderdale Beach. The public greenspaces, including the Intracoastal Promenade, Las Olas Beach Garage Sunset Terrace and DC Alexander Park aim to provide infinite experiences for everyone under the sun, and year-round activity in Fort Lauderdale’s oceanfront backyard. For more information, visit theloopflb.com or contact email@example.com. Follow The LOOP on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/theloopflb and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/theloopflb/.