Celebrated in the United States annually from Sept. 15 – Oct. 15, National Hispanic Heritage Month pays tribute to the generations of Hispanic Americans who have positively influenced and enriched the nation and society. Recognizing the histories, cultures, and contributions of American citizens, whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America, The LOOP’s month-long celebration will shine a spotlight on the people behind the small businesses who participate in its weekend markets. A special weekend of festivities will take place Sept. 29–Oct. 1.
Building off The LOOP’s four pillars of engagement, “F.A.M.E.,” and its mission to provide “Infinite Experience for Everyone Under the Sun,” the free, family-friendly Hispanic Heritage Month celebration weekend will showcase Hispanic food, art, music, movies, and entertainment. Attendees of The MKT at Las Olas Oceanside Park will also be treated to cooking demonstrations, Flamenco dance lessons, and Loteria (Mexican Bingo) for prizes.
Each Sunday, from 12–3 p.m., Sept. 17–Oct. 15, The LOOP will feature live performances from various Hispanic musicians and bands. Attendees are invited to relax at one of the tables under the shaded canopies and umbrellas to enjoy the rotation of live music while they shop and stroll The MKT vendors. The MKT is open on Saturdays from 9 a.m.–4 p.m. and Sundays from 10 a.m.–4 p.m. For a preview of the makers and small business vendors who proudly share their passion and Hispanic pride at The MKT at Las Olas Oceanside Park, visit theloopflb.com/hispanic-heritage-month-2023/.
The full Hispanic Heritage Month lineup includes:
Performers and times are subject to change
More @TheMKT Musical Performances – Sundays from 12 – 3 p.m.
- 17 – Flavio Sousa and Flamenco Dancer (Argentina, Flamenco Guitar)
- 24 – Greg Diamond (Latin-infused Contemporary Jazz)
- 8 – Sugar Music Trio (Venezuela, Pop)
- 15 – Mister Conjunto Band (Cuba, Salsa)
The G Classic 3v3 Basketball Tourney – Saturday, Sept. 16, 2–8 p.m.
- The inaugural 24 team charity basketball tournament, named after the late great Gyerard Reid, will take place at Las Olas Oceanside Park and will feature food, drinks, a live DJ and vendors. All proceeds will benefit the Reid family and a charity of their choice.
Friday, Sept. 29, 5–10 p.m.
- 5–10 p.m.: The MKT featuring Mexican Foods and Virgin Mocktails (available for purchase) and complimentary Make-Your-Own Maracas Craft Station
- 6:30–7:30 p.m.: Pre-Movie Performance: Mariachi Mexicano Mariachi Band
- 7:15–9 p.m.: Movies by Moonlight
- Featured Film: Coco, Rated PG
- Synopsis: Aspiring musician Miguel, confronted with his family’s ancestral ban on music, enters the Land of the Dead to find his great-great-grandfather, a legendary singer.
Saturday, Sept. 30, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
- 9 a.m.–4 p.m.: The MKT at Las Olas Oceanside Park, authentic Hispanic Food, Art & Makers
- 9:30 – 11 a.m.: Flamenco dance performance and workshop with Luna Cale Company
- 11 a.m.–12:30 p.m.: Performance: SonQba Band (Cuba, Son, Salsa, Merengue, Bolero)
- 12:30–1:30 p.m.: Cooking demonstration with Saucy Lips co-founder, Natalia Dalton Salazar, in partnership with Royal Prestige Cookware
- 1:30–3 p.m.: Performance: Caseroloops (Venezuela, Caribbean Rock)
Sunday, Oct. 1, 10 a.m.– 4 p.m.
- 10 a.m.–4 p.m.: The MKT at Las Olas Oceanside Park, authentic Hispanic Food, Art & Makers
- Complimentary Make-Your-Own Maracas Craft Station (while supplies last)
- 10–11 a.m.: Complimentary Socaton Fitness Class
- 11 a.m.–12 p.m.: Cooking demonstration with Fusion Healthy315 chef-owner, Yeni Ramos, in partnership with Royal Prestige Cookware
- 12–3 p.m.: Performance: Sabor Latino Latin Jazz Band
Las Olas Oceanside Park: 3000 E. Las Olas Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
The most convenient place to park is the Las Olas Beach Parking Garage, where the PayByPhone payment option can be used, and parking can be extended from anywhere using the mobile PayByPhone App.
Cost: The LOOP’s events are free and open to the public.
How: For more information, visit theloopflb.com/events/hispanic-heritage-month/
About The LOOP
A cornerstone of activity, The LOOP (Las Olas Oceanside Park) is the central hub of the $65 million, four-park system at the heart of Fort Lauderdale Beach. The public greenspaces, including the Intracoastal Promenade, Las Olas Beach Garage Sunset Terrace, and DC Alexander Park, aim to provide infinite experiences for everyone under the sun and year-round activity in Fort Lauderdale’s oceanfront backyard. Through its four pillars, “FAME,” The LOOP offers a variety of special events, activities, and unique local experiences for all, including free concerts, farmers markets, community workouts, holiday happenings, and more. The LOOP also includes an interactive water feature/splash pad for children and adults. As part of its environmental commitment, the City of Fort Lauderdale partnered with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission on dual-light fixtures that use amber lighting during sea turtle nesting season. The park’s artificial turf covering requires no watering. For more information, visit theloopflb.com or contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow The LOOP on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/theloopflb and on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/theloopflb/.