Spring is in full bloom on Fort Lauderdale Beach! The LOOP (Las Olas Oceanside Park) will celebrate the spring season with a series of events including Small Business Month, National Dog Mom’s Day, Mother’s Day, Friday Night Sound Waves, Glow with the Flow Yoga, the 14th Annual Great American Beach Party and more. Plus, a revamped rendition of the Las Olas Oceanside Park’s Farmer’s Market coined The MKT!
May Special Events Include:
Small Business Month Contest – During the month of May
During Small Business Month in May, The LOOP celebrates all small businesses and those who support them. Visitors are encouraged to share a photo of their market purchases on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #TheLOOPMKT and tag @TheLOOPFLB to nominate one of The LOOP’s small business vendors. In return, The LOOP will gift the participant a gift card and one vendor will receive a complimentary market space in June. It’s a win – win!
Need some inspiration to #ShopSmall? Small Business Month offers plenty including:
- Cinco De Mayo + National Concert Day, May 5: Order some tacos from Saucy Lips during Friday Night Sound Waves
- National Fitness Day, May 6: Boost your fitness routine with Boost Juice or gel capsules from Sea Moss 4 Life
- Lemonade + Cosmopolitan Day, May 7: Sip on a refreshing hand-smashed lemonade or a mocktail on Saturday from Sweet Blends and VSS Mocktail Bar
- Hummus Day, May 13: Take home some of the finest hummus and dead sea hand scrub from Mediterranean Delights
- Mother Ocean Day, May 13: Support The LOOP while doing something good for the ocean and purchase an Ocean Sole art piece from EdSea
- Chocolate Chip Day, May 15: Plan ahead and purchase a Kukie Munchster box of cookies at the Saturday market –
Pro Tip: Hide one or they will all be gone before Monday!
- Pizza Party Day, May 19: Celebrate Friday-Sunday with a freshly made, gluten-free pie from Delirious Pizza
For the full list of The LOOP’s vendors, visit theloopflb.com/shop-small/
Glow with the Flow Yoga
- Date: Thursday, May 4
- Time: 6–10 p.m.
- Cost: Tickets are $15 in advance or $20 at the door and includes all classes and one mocktail
- Details: Awaken, move and Glow with the Flow as the monthly Full Moon Yoga Experience returns on Thursday, May 4, bringing a night of movement, healing and community to Las Olas Oceanside Park. The evening begins with a Yoga Flow led by Lisa Pumper at 6:15 p.m., followed by a Bollywood Fusion dance led by Janet and Varun Tewari at 7:45 p.m. The night will conclude with blissful breathwork, sacred sound healing, a mocktail station and stargazing on the lawn.
- More Information: com/events/glow-may/
National Dog Mom’s Day
- Date: Saturday, May 13
- Time: 9 a.m.–12 p.m.
- Cost: $10 pp/pets are free – includes yoga class, playtime obstacle course and special treats
- Details: You don’t have to give birth to be a mom – some people adopt, others foster and then there are those special ladies who devote all their motherly love to their canine fur kids. National Dog Mom’s Day recognizes women’s bond with their fur kids, and the dog-friendly Las Olas Oceanside Park is hosting a morning to celebrate them on Saturday, May 13. Dog moms are encouraged to start their day with a dog-friendly yoga class hosted by Lisa Pumper on the main lawn from 9 a.m.–10:15 a.m. before engaging in some playtime and an obstacle course hosted by Pawzitive Training from 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Pet-friendly vendors, photo stations and treats round out the morning.
City of Fort Lauderdale’s 14th Annual Great American Beach Party Hosted by the City of Fort Lauderdale Parks & Recreation Department
- Date: Saturday, May 27
- Time: 11 a.m.–6:30 p.m.
- Details: Kick off the summer on Memorial Day weekend at the Great American Beach Party, a City of Fort Lauderdale tradition. Celebrate with family and friends as part of Fort Lauderdale’s world-famous beach transforms into an entertainment mecca. Highlights from this free, family-friendly event include live bands, water slides, a kid’s zone, a classic car show, an art show, a sand sculpting contest, a SOCOM Para-Commandos parachute jump, a military tribute, the Walk of Fame ceremony, vendors, exhibitors and so much more!
- More Information: fortlauderdale.gov/special-events/special-events/great-american-beach-party
Friday Night Sound Waves
Dates: Friday, May 5, 12, 19, 26
Time: 6:30–9:30 p.m.
Details: Spanning Cinco de Mayo to Memorial Day weekend, Fridays in May hit all the high notes for a great night out with family and friends, in addition to four more opportunities to check #41 off author Christiana Lilly’s “100 Things to Do in Fort Lauderdale Before You Die” list and “Dance with the Bands.” Presented by the City of Fort Lauderdale’s Beach Business Improvement District, attendees are invited to come early to enjoy various pre-concert games on the main lawn starting at 5 p.m., along with local vendors and a rotation of food and drink vendors to sip, sup, and shop before, during and after the show.
More Information: View a menu of nightly food and beverage offerings at The LOOP and the Fort Lauderdale Beach restaurant directory at: fridaynightsoundwaves.com
Scheduled Performances include*:
- May 5 – Extasy | Cinco de Mayo
Miami’s culture and nightlife have given birth to this new kid on the block, Extasy. With just the right chemistry, these young artists give new life to the classics while playing all the hits from today’s biggest stars. Extasy is truly Miami, a synergistic blend of Latin and American cultures with music from both worlds. They are one of the most versatile live bands and can do 100% American-Top 40 hits, 100% Latin sets or any mix of the two.
- May 12 – Pure Heart & Mr. Nice Guy Band | Mother’s Day Weekend Concert Double Header
South Florida band Pure Heart performs the timeless classics of the band Heart with music played and sung authentically in homage to Hall of Fame artists and sisters Ann Wilson and Nancy Wilson. Songs include “Barracuda,” “Dreamboat Annie,” “Alone,” “These Dreams,” “Magic Man,” “Love Alive,” and “Crazy On You,” in addition to some of the songs Heart covered, including “Stairway to Heaven” by Led Zeppelin and “Love, Reign O’er Me” by The Who.
Formed in 2002, Mr. Nice Guy (MNG) is one of the area’s most popular classic rock groups, delivering high-energy performances of some of the best music from the ’60s, ’70s and ’80s. In addition to a monster set list of classic rock cover songs, Mr. Nice Guy has original music and has recently been on tour, backing major acts such as ZZ Top. The special Mother’s Day weekend concert will feature guest lead singer Maria DeCresano.
- May 19 – Hot Brass
Hot Brass featuring Debbie Pierce is a high-energy eight-to-ten-piece band featuring the music from the supergroup Earth, Wind and Fire. This hot group adds more flavor to the show with songs from the 2004 Chicago Earth, Wind and Fire World Tour. Leader Debbie Pierce is a multi-instrumentalist (Sax/Vocal/Flute) who has been performing in South Florida for over 20 years. The band is comprised of some of the best musicians in South Florida and consistently delivers not just great music but great entertainment too.
- May 26 – Private Stock moves to Las Olas Intracoastal Park, with a special appearance by the athletes competing in the World Aquatics High Diving World Cup over Memorial Day Weekend at the Fort Lauderdale Aquatics Center
Private Stock Band is the most sought-after entertainment in the event industry. Being together for over 20 years contributes to the band’s amazing chemistry that shines through with every high-energy performance. Voted the #1 Party Band in Florida, Private Stock is the only band in the event industry that features Top 10 Hit Recording artists and stars from the hit show, Legends. Private Stock’s musicians are all multi-talented and versatile, with an extensive song list consisting of Top 40, the 50s & 60s, Rock & Roll, Motown, Soul, 70s Disco, Classic Rock, 80s, 90s, Latin and Country.
Location: Las Olas Intracoastal Park – 80 Las Olas Cir, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
The World Aquatics High Diving World Cup will see the world’s best high divers compete in the newly renovated state-of-the-art Fort Lauderdale Aquatic Center. The venue, which boasts one of the highest diving platforms in the world, is a premier destination for global competitive diving, having hosted numerous international and domestic events since its opening in 1965. The World Aquatics High Diving World Cup, the first international high diving event since the inaugural Abu Dhabi Aquatics Festival 2021, will see men and women compete in the 27-meter and 20-meter events, respectively. The event is open to all National Federations and will serve as a direct qualification for the World Aquatics Championships – Fukuoka 2023.
*Performers schedule subject to change
THE MKT at Las Olas Oceanside Park
- Dates: Saturday, May 6, 13, 20, and Sunday, May 7, 14, 21, 28
- Time: Saturdays: 9 a.m.–5 p.m. and Sundays: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Details: Take in breathtaking beach views and enjoy the ocean breeze while perusing an eclectic array of traditional market fare ranging from fresh produce and fruit to global flavors, made-to-order foods, and handmade and homemade items to wear and decorate your home. Attendees are invited to bring a picnic blanket and lawn chair to enjoy a rotation of live music and interactive experiences while they shop and stroll the market vendors or take part in the weekly oceanside yoga class and a variety of lawn games, including pickleball, badminton, lawn darts, cornhole and more.
Ongoing activities in May include:
- All Day: Shop and stroll marketplace
- All Day: Lawn games
- All Day: Postcards for The Troops
- Every Saturday, 9–10:15 a.m.: Oceanside Yoga (excluding May 27) – $10 in advance or $15 for day of drop-in
- 12–3 p.m.: Rotating live music; the full schedule is available at https://theloopflb.com/
More at the MKT special events include:
- Saturday, May 6: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Meet local author and “Ambassador of Love” Laura Duksta for a complimentary book signing of her New York Times bestselling children’s book, “l Love You More,” during Children’s Book Week. The inspirational speaker’s works also include, “You Are a Gift to the World/The World is a Gift to You” and “I’ll Hug You More.” With a mission to reach as many hearts, homes and classrooms as possible with the power, magic and message of presence, love, appreciation, connection and enthusiasm, Duksta has sold nearly a million copies in the US and her books are available internationally in eight languages. Free with purchase or previously purchased copy.
- Saturday, May 13: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Columbian-born and South Florida raised pottery artist Yamile Hewitt will host a pottery painting class as a special activity for mother and child to enjoy together from 9:30 a.m.–2 p.m. The three hour-long sessions start at 9:30, 11 a.m., and 12:30 p.m. and includes all the supplies to decorate a ceramic mug ($45) or decorative turtle ($40) as a special Mother’s Day project. Each piece will be delivered one week after the pottery piece’s firing and available to pick up or have shipped for a nominal fee. Space is limited and advanced reservations are recommended.
- Saturday, May 20: 9 a.m.–2 p.m.
Enjoy a lively discussion and farm stand tour with Nova Southeastern University’s College of Optometry students on the benefits of certain food groups in optimizing eye care and health. Free to register and attendees will take home a Food and Ocular Health Guide.
- Sunday, May 21: 11 a.m.–1 p.m.
Need last-minute Memorial Day appetizers to impress a crowd? No problem! Saucy Lips creators Jess and Gabriela Dalton-Salazar offer tips and complimentary tasting of freshly made salsas for your backyard BBQ or to adorn your grilled creations. Best known at The MKT for their delicious street tacos and quesadilla, Saucy Lips is a Hispanic, female-founded business specializing in healthy, gourmet savory sauces and hot sauces. In May 2021, Saucy Lips launched its Keto, Vegan, Non-GMO and Gluten-free products nationwide in Whole Foods. FREE.
Las Olas Oceanside Park: 3000 E. Las Olas Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
The most convenient place to park is the Las Olas Beach Parking Garage, where the PayByPhone payment option can be used, and parking can be extended from anywhere using the mobile PayByPhone App.
Cost: The LOOP’s events are free and open to the public.
How: For more information, visit https://theloopflb.com/events/categories/market/
About The LOOP
A cornerstone of activity, The LOOP (Las Olas Oceanside Park) is the central hub of the $65 million, four-park system at the heart of Fort Lauderdale Beach. The public greenspaces, including the Intracoastal Promenade, Las Olas Beach Garage Sunset Terrace, and DC Alexander Park, aim to provide infinite experiences for everyone under the sun and year-round activity in Fort Lauderdale’s oceanfront backyard. Through its four pillars, “FAME,” The LOOP offers a variety of special events, activities, and unique local experiences for all, including free concerts, farmers markets, community workouts, holiday happenings, and more. The LOOP also includes an interactive water feature/splash pad for children and adults. As part of its environmental commitment, the City of Fort Lauderdale partnered with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission on dual-light fixtures that use amber lighting during sea turtle nesting season. The park’s artificial turf covering requires no watering. For more information, visit theloopflb.com or contact email@example.com. Follow The LOOP on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/theloopflb and on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/theloopflb/.