Giant scissors, a huge ribbon, and an array of people standing behind it with big grins on their faces. A time-honored tradition, the ribbon cutting is a great way to unveil a new construction site, a newly-finished building, a brand-new retail store, and much more. In public relations, it’s a fantastic tool to garner press coverage for clients. While those behind the scenes make a ribbon cutting look easy, it isn’t a seamless process.
With nearly 20 years in the PR business, we at Fort Lauderdale and Miami-based PR agency Durée & Company have learned the ins-and-outs of creating the ideal ribbon cutting. We’re pleased to share 12 tips and tricks we have learned to make a ribbon cutting a highly successful gift for clients:
- First and foremost, work with the client to develop an overall event strategy, identifying who the major players are.
- Get people to come! Assist with invitations and outreach to community leaders, VIPs, dignitaries, chamber members, mayor, etc.
- Organization, organization, and more organization. Create an in-depth run of show to prepare for the big day.
- Know what media to invite! Come up with a tailored media list.
- Get the word out. Write a pre-event media alert/press release to promote the event.
- Make sure they say the right things. Create talking points for all of those speaking at the event.
- A picture says a thousand words ― especially at a ribbon cutting. Put together a shot list; work with photographer to capture the right shots.
- It’s kind of like a wedding, but with a different twist. Coordinate and secure all vendors including the venue, photographers, catering, security, transportation, etc.
- Be the point person. Manage on-site media, and facilitate any interviews/questions from media.
- Afterward, evaluate the photos. Which are best to distribute? Write image captions (post-event).
- Get the word out again. Write a post-event press release, recapping event successes.
- Wrap it up! Conduct post-event outreach to all key local media.
Ribbon cuttings can definitely tie someone in knots if they’re not familiar with how to pull it off. From Miami to Palm Beach to Aspen, D&Co has planned and managed ribbon cutting events for real estate projects, restaurants, store openings and more. If you’re planning a ribbon cutting and want to hand over all the details to the experts, be sure to contact our seasoned PR and event planning professionals at Durée & Company!
About Durée & Company
Durée & Company, Inc. is an award-winning full-service public relations, marketing and special events firm with offices in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Aspen, Colorado. The firm serves the corporate, agency and non-profit arenas for local, national and international clients focusing on public relations for real estate, public relations for restaurants, public relations for law firms, public relations for charities, public relations for healthcare, and many more. Durée & Company services include Public Relations, Social Media, Marketing, Advertising, Special Events, and Radio Promotions and Outreach.