Social media has become a vital role in the everyday life of public relations professionals. At Fort Lauderdale-based public relations firm Durée & Company, we are crafting and posting content on social media for a wide variety of clients nationwide on a daily basis. We are continuously engaged with Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest, but one of our favorites has always been Instagram!
While many use Instagram for personal uses, this platform has grown into a marketing powerhouse for companies and brands. So how exactly do you get maximum effectiveness out of Instagram? Below, we put together our tips about marketing your local business on Instagram.
- Include your location: Make it clear in your bio where you’re located so it is immediately apparent what your business is. Also, when posting images, make sure to tag your location. This will direct users engaging in nearby locations to your page.
- Use location-centric #hashtags: Hashtags are one of the easiest ways to ensure that your images are found by the right people. Where appropriate, hashtag your location in your post. Posts with 11 or more hashtags receive nearly 80% interaction! While we’re on the topic, take advantage of trending hashtags! Wherever possible, we incorporate trending hashtags into our social media posts. This can turn your post visibility to hundreds overnight.
- Piggyback on relevant local stories: Certain circumstances may allow you piggyback on local stories, and by that we mean inject your idea into breaking news in order to generate media coverage for yourself or business. If there is an exciting event happening in town, you can gain exposure by creating a social post featuring you or your brand at the event.
- Engage with your audience: It may seem obvious, but engaging with your followers is key. Continue to build strong relationships with your customers in your area by asking them questions such as “Where is your favorite lunch spot in #ftlauderdale?” This encourages engagement on your page.
- Giveaways: Who doesn’t like free items?! You can offer customers a gift card or products in exchange for engagement on your profile/sharing on their own profiles. You can also have contests on your page which can result in a giveaway.
- Show your hometown love: Make sure to show your love for your town or location. Support the local businesses and events around you. Show your audience that you love being located there just as much as they do.
As Instagram is growing to be one of the best marketing tools, it is important to use the right steps for audience engagement with your profile. With these tips, you can create a very personal feel on your Instagram profile while showing your local town some love. Just remember, your number one fans will always be your locals!
About Durée & Company
Durée & Company, Inc. is an award-winning full-service public relations, marketing and special events firm with offices in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Aspen, Colorado. The firm serves the corporate, agency and non-profit arenas for local, national and international clients focusing on public relations for real estate, public relations for restaurants, public relations for law firms, public relations for charities, public relations for healthcare, and many more. Durée & Company services include Public Relations, Social Media, Marketing, Advertising, Special Events, and Radio Promotions and Outreach.