Feeding South Florida is wonderfully creative when it comes to different ways to get people involved in the fight against hunger. Miami buildings lit up in an orange glow; meaningful, artistic graffiti created a message of hope; film screenings of documentaries on hunger in America … and now games.
But these are not any games. Playing off the popular literary and theatrical series, “The Hunger Games,” Feeding South Florida is launching its own version of compassionate competition, as it invites local corporations to battle for title of Ultimate Hunger Champion.
From Jan. 13–April 26, 2014, the FSF Hunger Games will raise awareness, build support and gather funds to continue the fight against hunger – the insidious enemy of productivity, vitality and education.
“The Hunger Games are a great way for corporations to increase team-building and camaraderie among team members, as well as gain exposure within the community,” said Paco Vélez, CEO of Feeding South Florida. “By participating, corporations can help the almost 1 million people in South Florida, including nearly 300,000 children, who are food insecure. These people are right in our own backyard, even though we may not see them.”
Any local corporation can participate in the games, which include:
- Field Day – March 1, 2014 at Topeekeegee Yugnee Park (Pavilion 6), 3300 N. Park Rd., Hollywood, FL 33021
- March for Hunger 5K – March 30, 2014 at Hollywood Beach Boardwalk (Charnow Park), 300 Connecticut St., Hollywood, FL 33019
- Ultimate Hunger Champion Awards Reception and Gala – April 26, 2014 at Conrad Miami (Floors 3 & 25), 1395 Brickell Ave., Miami, FL 33131
- Food drive with a bonus activity
- Fund drive designed to increase awareness and encourage marketing of the corporation
- Social media
- Sort Day at the FSF Warehouse
At the April 26 Gala, winners at all levels will be announced and honored, because what’s a game without a gold medal?
To register your corporation and/or for more information about Feeding South Florida’s Hunger Games, visit www.feedingsouthflorida.org/hunger-games.htm.