Pembroke Park, Fla. — Thanksgiving is fast approaching, and Feeding South Florida, the leading domestic hunger-relief organization serving South Florida, is offering two different ways for the public to help those in need during this special holiday: Adopt-A-Family and the Thanksgiving Food Frenzy.
“In South Florida, one in five kids and one in eight individuals don’t know where their next meal will come from,” said Paco Vélez, president and CEO of Feeding South Florida. “At Thanksgiving time, they especially want to enjoy the gift of a hearty meal. We make this possible ― with the help of the community ― through the Adopt-A-Family and Thanksgiving Food Frenzy initiatives.”
Adopt-A-Family(now through Nov. 18): For only $25, anyone can provide a Thanksgiving meal box to a family of four. The meal box includes one turkey, fresh produce, sides (boxed mashed potatoes, stuffing, etc.), gravy mix, and dessert mix. For $100, anyone can ensure four families will enjoy a full Thanksgiving meal. To adopt a family, simply visit www.feedingsouthflorida.org/donate-now. To ensure Thanksgiving meal boxes are ready in time, all donations must be placed by Monday, Nov. 18, 2019. Thanksgiving meal boxes will be distributed to families the week of Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving Food Frenzy(Oct. 28–Nov. 19): This is a friendly competition in which groups host Food + Fund Drives and earn volunteer hours for the chance to win the title of “Ultimate Thanksgiving Hero” in their designated category. Schools, restaurants, law firms, health care companies, financial institutions, and all other group are welcome to participate.
- Participants can host a food drive or raise funds.
- The way to win is to provide the most meals by donating pounds of food and raising funds. For food, 1.2 pounds = one meal, and for funds, $1 = 7 meals.
- Participants can win bonus points Oct. 28–Nov. 18 by volunteering at Feeding South Florida or mentioning Feeding South Florida on social media (each post is worth one point or one meal.)
- The total number of meals collected, including all bonus points, will be totaled and divided by the number of employees in the group.
- Food drives will accept non-perishable items only. Items in glass jars or expired items will not be accepted. It is requested that items that are already in packed cases, cartons or boxes are not opened. Thanksgiving food drive items needed are gravy mix, canned vegetables, cranberry sauce, stuffing mix, mashed potato mix, pie crust & mix, and cornbread mix.
- The most-needed general food drive items are peanut butter, cereal, mac & cheese, pasta, rice & beans, canned soups, canned meats, canned fruits & veggies, canned meals, pop top food items, granola bars, fruit cups & applesauce, and diapers.
To register to participate in the Thanksgiving Food Frenzy, visit www.feedingsouthflorida.org/food-fund-drives. Winners will be announced at Feeding South Florida’s Happy Harvest Donor Recognition Breakfast on Dec. 4, 8:30–10:00 a.m. at Signature Grand in Davie.
About Feeding South Florida®
Feeding South Florida® is a member of the Feeding America® network of food banks and the leading domestic hunger-relief organization serving Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade, and Monroe Counties. Providing support for 25 percent of the state’s food insecure population, its mission is to end hunger in South Florida by providing immediate access to nutritious food, leading hunger and poverty advocacy efforts, and transforming lives through innovative programming and education. Feeding South Florida distributes nearly 62 million pounds (51.6 million meals) of food annually, to over 700,000 individuals through direct-service programs and a local network of approximately 300 nonprofit partner agencies. Visit www.feedingsouthflorida.org or call 954.518.1818.