Working in public relations is an exciting, challenging and rewarding profession. It also takes a certain type of personality to thrive in this fast-paced, 24/7 job. In honor of National Publicists Day, we at Fort Lauderdale PR firm Durée & Company have taken a moment to reflect on this holiday by highlighting the personality traits of a successful publicist. And because we didn’t all get here overnight, we were able to draw upon the rich resources that make up our talented team. Our diverse group brings together years and years of expertise, so our brainstorm was a quick one, right? Not exactly! There are many important traits, and after putting our heads together, we’ve come up with the top qualities that make a winning publicist. Check them out here and let us know if you agree!
- Strong-willed – Publicists hear the word “no” on a daily basis. Each rejection must motivate you to search for another answer.
- Resourceful – A winning publicist must know how to use connections and resources in a timely manner to get what is needed, as breaking news can turn into old news in a matter of seconds. Conducting research is often the most important part of the day.
- Friendly – It’s all about who you know! Being likeable and genuine makes it easier to network and create those key contacts. We’re curious about our clients and it makes our day to tell their stories.
- Willing to learn – Being in an industry that is always changing requires an open mind and the ability to quickly grasp new concepts. Case in point: the ever evolving social media platforms we rely on daily.
- Flexible – In the blink of an eye, the day of a publicist can be completely flipped around. Being able to manage a schedule and learning to work around a client crisis is imperative. Be prepared to write and then re-write your priority list for the day!
Even with the crazy pace of the public relations industry, there’s no other job we’d rather have!
About Durée & Company
Durée & Company, Inc. is an award-winning full-service public relations, marketing and special events firm with offices in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Aspen, Colorado. The firm serves the corporate, agency and non-profit arenas for local, national and international clients focusing on public relations for real estate, public relations for restaurants, public relations for law firms, public relations for charities, public relations for healthcare, and many more. Durée & Company services include Public Relations, Social Media, Marketing, Advertising, Special Events, and Radio Promotions and Outreach.