Here at Aspen and Fort Lauderdale-based public relations agency Durée & Company, we know the power of a podcast! And with International Podcast Day on Sept. 30, we’re happy to share how podcasts can boost exposure for your brand.
In today’s fast-paced PR world, it’s important to stay on top of the latest trends. Since 2015, podcast usage has increased over 670% and is predicted to become the most-used form of media by 2020, according to the Foodable Network. These series of hands-free audio episodes ― that are often focused on a particular topic or theme ― are the next generation of radio networks for the modern consumer. Podcasts are one of the highest engaged media platforms and can be an effective component of any public relations strategy.
Why are podcasts becoming a popular platform for public relations? They are ideal for people on the go! Podcasts can be listened to at any time, from any place. These audio files can be easily downloaded to a smartphone or streamed through an app, such as the iPhone podcast app or Stitcher. Most podcasts are set up with different seasons (like a TV or radio show), with episodes focusing on various topics and feature special guests. Listeners can subscribe to specific podcasts ― most of the time for free ― and download new episodes on a weekly basis.
Here are a few reasons why you should consider creating a podcast, to start the conversation about your brand:
- They’re easy to start ― Podcasts don’t require a significant investment to start, because they can even be recorded on a smartphone or tablet. Podcasts are also very conversational. They allow the host to create an intimate conversation with his or her audience about a specific topic of interest. Podcasters often go without a script and just draft an outline of topics they want to speak about, and let the conversation flow.
- Storytelling ― Podcasts are great for starting the conversation about a brand. Podcasts can be utilized as a tool to persuade listeners and tell them about a brand over the competition. They allow the podcaster to become a thought leader in their industry, because listeners are hearing information and current trends straight from the source. Podcasters can also communicate tone, timing, excitement, humor, etc. to further engage the audience.
- An opportunity to connect with a captive target audience ― Podcast listeners generally subscribe to podcasts because they are seeking information on a specific topic. By utilizing an industry expert that is relevant to a topic of interest, listeners naturally become more engaged and give their full attention. Podcasts also allow more time to share information with an audience and create a quality connection that will last.
- Content is king ― Podcasts can be repurposed for content across other platforms, such as social media, eblasts, blog posts and more. The special guests can also cross-promote the podcast across their own outlets.
Here are some of the Dynamos’ best practices for podcasters:
- Pick a niche topic
- Keep it consistent ― publish it on the same day and at the same time every week
- Promote your podcast across social media, eblasts, etc.
- Interview industry experts
- Keep episodes short, so that listeners can listen to full episodes without interruption
- Track listeners
- Have a call to action ― direct listeners to a website, social media, etc.
Podcasts are a great way to stay in tune with your brand. There is a podcast for almost every interest and topic imaginable. In fact, Apple has amassed 1 billion podcast subscriptions across 250,000 unique podcasts in over 100 languages.
With over 20 years of experience in public relations, we know that podcasts are a new source for in-depth stories and news, and that they are ideal for professionals on the go. Our very own president and podcast expert, Durée Ross, was even recently featured as a guest speaker on litigation attorney Michael Elkins, Esq.’s podcast, Game 7, to discuss social media versus traditional public relations, why personal branding is key, crisis management and more.
About Durée & Company
Durée & Company, Inc. is an award-winning, full-service public relations, marketing and special events firm founded in 1999. The firm has offices in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Aspen, Colorado. Durée & Company serves the corporate, agency and nonprofit arenas for local, national and international clients. Services include public relations, social media, marketing, content development, advertising, special events, branding, radio promotions and more. Durée & Company clients include well-known names in yacht, business, fashion, hospitality, travel, wellness and CBD, art and culture, nonprofit organizations, legal and professional services and real estate. Durée & Company is a member of PR Boutiques International™ (PRBI), an international network of boutique PR firms. To learn more, go to https://dureeandcompany.com/, visit Durée & Company on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/DureeCoPR/, Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/dureecopr Twitter at https://twitter.com/dureecopr or YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/DureeAndCompany, or call 954-723-9350.