Every day, 871,920 people in South Florida, including 287,650 children, don’t know from where they will get their next meal. During Hunger Action Month (September), Feeding South Florida™ has created a calendar of opportunities to help solve this problem, and we have to ask, “What CAN’T you do about hunger?”
At Durée & Company, we are shedding our trademark pink and turning our offices an energetic shade of orange (the color of hunger awareness) on Sept. 4. This is “Go Orange! Day” – a day devoted to raising awareness of a social, economic, educational and physiological issue that we have the power to fight.
30 Ways in 30 Days
Feeding South Florida’s local calendar provides many exciting ways to join community efforts to end hunger, including Moustache Monday (Sept. 15), when you can wear an orange moustache and upload a picture to social media. For more information, visit www.feedingsouthflorida.org or call 954.518.1818.
Other events include:
- Feeding America’s National Light Up Hunger, during which landmark buildings “Light Up Orange.” In honor of Go Orange! Day, Sept. 4, Miami Tower in Brickell (100 SE 2nd St, Miami, FL 33131); the fountain at The Breakers Palm Beach (One South County Road, Palm Beach, FL 33480); the Bank of America Building (401 E Las Olas Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301) and the Intercontinental Hotel (100 Chopin Plaza, Miami, FL 33131) will glow with the electric hue.
- National Go Orange! Day on Sept. 4, when residents and media are encouraged to wear orange, go orange digitally or “do anything” orange.
- 24 Hour Sort-A-Thon: Friday, Sept. 12, beginning at 6 p.m. through Saturday, Sept. 13 at 6 p.m. Volunteers will sort donated food during eight shifts of three hours each. 100 volunteers maximum per shift; 800 volunteers total. To register, visit www.feedingsouthflorida.org and click on the Hunger Action Month graphic on the main page. Please register prior to Sept. 10, 2014. Sponsorships available; please call 954.518.1825. Feeding South Florida main warehouse, 2501 SW 32 Terrace. Pembroke Park, FL 33023.
- Tijuana Flats in Hollywood, Fla. donates 20 percent of proceeds to Feeding South Florida: Thursday, Sept. 4, 5–8 p.m. 20 percent of all sales go directly to Feeding South Florida’s hunger relief efforts. Flyer (available at www.feedingsouthflorida.org) must be presented. 3357 Sheridan St., Hollywood, FL 33021.
- Miami Marlins and Feeding South Florida Charity Night: Friday, Sept. 19, 7:10 p.m. Miami Marlins vs. Washington Nationals. Baseline reserved: $20. A portion of ticket proceeds benefits Feeding South Florida. Feeding South Florida President and CEO Paco Vélez will throw the first pitch at 7:10 p.m. Order tickets at www.marlins.com/specialevents; for groups of 10 or more, contact O’Brien Berry at 305.480.1520 or HBerry@marlins.com.
- Burger 21 donates proceeds from all sales to Feeding South Florida: Sunday, Sept. 21, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. No restrictions on what items ordered. 2451 S University Dr., Davie, FL 33324.
In September, there is no shortage of ways to help someone suffering from hunger. See, “orange” you glad you read this?