Did you know that according to Emarsys, social media statistics from 2019 show that there are 3.5 billion social media users worldwide? That equates to about 45% of the current population.
At Fort Lauderdale and Aspen-based public relations agency Durée & Company, we strive to bring new insight and creative strategies to help our clients achieve bigger goals. If you aren’t using social media for your business, you are likely missing a large chunk of your target market and consumers. From the way we get our daily news and trending stories to the way we interact with our family and friends, social media is powerful, unavoidable, and it’s here to stay.
Once you optimize your social media for success, you will not only gain a loyal following, but you will begin cultivating leads and ultimately converting visitors into consumers. Here are four tips to strategically grow your social media following.
- Identify your goals.
What are you trying to accomplish? Come up with clearly defined objectives to work towards.
- It’s important to ask yourself this key question: Are you building brand awareness, driving traffic to your website or selling a product?
- What good is a goal without knowing how to measure the success of it? Come up with a plan on tracking your progress by keeping tabs on your number of followers, website traffic coming from social media, customer retention rate, and of course product sales.
- Be consistent.
Consistency is key. From the tone of your messaging to the aesthetics of your profiles, you need to be recognizable to stand out among your intended audience.
- Come up with a weekly content plan. Ever wonder why Durée & Company posts a blog every Tuesday? It’s strategic and consistent. Utilize weekly occurrences such as #MotivationMonday, #TestimonialTuesdays, #DidYouKnow, etc.
- Have consistent aesthetics. With a brand style guide in place or a color scheme for templates, this creates consistency and coordination in your images and posts, which has a greater impact on customers and makes you easy to identify.
- Repurpose evergreen content. Keep track of your website’s analytics to see what posts have performed best in the past month and even the past year. Keep your content evergreen and reinforce your message by re-sharing it. It may seem counterintuitive to share existing content, but we have found it to be effective for reaching people in different time zones, new industries, and new followers.
- Grow Your Presence.
Don’t just share content promoting your services because you may only be attracting a small (and similar) audience. Try creating infographics or other eye-catching visual content that would entertain your target audience in some way or the other.
- Use hashtag holidays. There’s a day dedicated to almost every food, place, object and so on. While there are numerous national holidays, you don’t need to jump on all of them. As with any other social post, it’s essential to keep your brand and audience in mind and participate in the days that are a natural fit.
- Incorporate user-generated content (UGC). Today, everyone relies on social media to receive validation from their peers. However, it’s important to decipher what is a paid ad and what is simply just a person enjoying a product. Today’s society is drawn to authenticity which is why UGC is so effective. Some forms of UGC include: reposting, testimonials from real-life customers, and Instagram takeovers. According to Sprout Social, User-generated content allows your followers to serve as billboards and provides an incentive for customers to interact with you. Whether it’s using a hashtag or posting a photo, encouraging customer content is a smart move for boosting your engagement rate.
- Focus on Engagement.
According to Later.com, tons of brands and businesses are getting on board and showing a more honest, real, and vulnerable side to their brand and business, and getting huge engagement returns from it! A high level of authenticity can go a long way in building a stronger connection to your audience. When you can showcase the good with the bad, the struggles along with the wins, your brand will be more relatable to your audience.
- Grow a community rather than a following. Have conversations with your followers, like posts, comment on them, retweet them, etc. Contribute intellectual thoughts to build relationships, connect with new leads, and grow your reach.
- Stay up to date on trends. If you’re not currently creating videos, it is time that you include them in your marketing strategy. According to statistics compiled by Go-Globe, 82 percent of internet traffic is expected to be live video by 2020. Whether it’s a quick video on TikTok, an Instagram story or a YouTube channel, videos are the future of social media.
- Timing is everything. Although this saying may seem dauntingly true, it’s important to make timeliness a priority. According to Sprout Social, it’s important to post at the best times to engage, if your brand isn’t there to communicate, what’s the point of posting at the “preferred” time? Instead, try to ensure your social media or community managers are available and ready to answer any product questions or concerns when you tweet or post.
While it’s important to implement these tips year round, it’s also important to anticipate the unknown. Social media is spawning a whole new vernacular, as it changes constantly. Need help getting your 2020 strategy together? Our team is ready to help you grow your social media following strategically, transforming visitors into consumers.
About Durée & Company
Durée & Company, Inc. is an award-winning, full-service public relations, marketing and special events firm founded in 1999. The firm has offices in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Aspen, Colorado. Durée & Company serves the corporate, agency and nonprofit arenas for local, national and international clients. Services include public relations, social media, marketing, content development, advertising, special events, branding, radio promotions and more. Durée & Company clients include well-known names in business, fashion, hospitality, travel, wellness and CBD, marine & yacht, art and culture, nonprofit organizations, legal and professional services and real estate. Durée & Company is a member of PR Boutiques International™ (PRBI), an international network of boutique PR firms. To learn more, go to https://dureeandcompany.com/, visit Durée & Company on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/DureeCoPR/, Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/dureecopr Twitter at https://twitter.com/dureecopr or YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/user/DureeAndCompany, or call 954-723-9350.